Garden party season has kicked in and this summer Canada celebrates its 150th birthday, giving us even more reason to throw a party!
Backyard entertaining offers a fun casual vibe and when food is kept simple the host can enjoy the festivities just as much as the guests.
Planning is crucial. Set the table well before guests arrive and prep as much of the food ahead of time as possible. The butcher will be a real help with pre-made burgers, kabobs and marinated meats. Specialty food shops offer up fresh, ready-to-go appetizers, desserts and salads to make throwing a stylish gathering even easier.
Pick flowers from the garden to decorate the table. Never use scented candles outdoors; try to maintain as much of the authenticity of the outdoor setting as possible.
Offer up local craft beer in buckets of ice and wine chilled and set out at a self-serve bar. It’s fun to have a specialty cocktail on hand and this summer celebrate Canada with the all Canadian Caesar that combines French’s® Not Your Ordinary Cocktail Mix, made with 100 percent Canadian-grown tomatoes and Canadian produced Polar Ice Vodka. The True North Cocktail is sure to spice up your Canada Day celebrations this summer!
Round off the party with an All Canadian playlist curated by Connie Bernardi, Majic 100’s Program Director/Weekend Announcer
Connie B's All Canadian Backyard Party Playlist
- Bryan Adams - Run to You
- The Weeknd - I Feel It Coming
- Corey Hart - Sunglasses at Night
- Nelly Furtado - I'm Like A Bird
- Serena Ryder - Stompa
- Tom Cochrane - Life Is A Highway
- Glass Tiger - Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone
- Len - Steal My Sunshine
- Coleman Hell - 2 Heads
- Michael Buble - It's A Beautiful Day
- Honeymoon Suite - New Girl Now
- Platinum Blonde- Crying Over You
True North Caesar
Ingredients for single serving
- 236 ml French’s® Not Your Ordinary Caesar™ Original Cocktail Mix
- 1 dash Frank’s® RedHot Original Hot Sauce
- 3 dashes French’s® Worcestershire Sauce
- 50 ml Polar Ice Vodka
- Celery salt rim mix
Rim the glass with lemon wedge and then celery salt rim mix. Fill glass with ice, pour in vodka, Caesar mix and the rest of the ingredients. Garnish as desired.
Minted Tomato Watermelon Salad
- 2 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 4 cups diced multi-coloured heirloom tomatoes
- several fresh mint leaves chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine watermelon, mint and tomato gently in salad bowl, up to an hour before serving. Drizzle with oil and balsamic vinegar and top with feta, salt and pepper just before serving