With its Mediterranean-inspired flavours, this dish is ideal as an appetizer or for lunch and is easy to bake in individual portions using smaller oven-safe ramekins. It’s equally delicious made with sheep or goat’s milk feta, or a vegan alternative. Best of all, you can assemble this tasty spread up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake it.
- 12–14 oz block (340–400 g) feta cheese
- 1 can
- (398 mL) artichoke hearts, drained and cut in eighths
- ½ cup
- (100 g) slivered sweet red pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 g) capers, drained
- ½ cup (250 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp (2.7 g) fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (6 g) freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp
- (15 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Few grinds black pepper
- Greek pita in triangles, baguette slices or sturdy crackers, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Place the block of feta in an oven-safe dish such as a pie plate or shallow casserole dish.
- Scatter the artichoke hearts, red peppers and capers around the feta (not on top).
- Combine the olive oil, thyme leaves, garlic, lemon zest and lemon juice; drizzle over the feta and vegetables.
- Sprinkle freshly-ground black pepper over the vegetables and cheese.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with a lid or foil, taking care to tent the foil above the level of the food, if needed.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve hot, using a spoon to spread the cheese, vegetables and herbed olive oil over bread or crackers.
Serves 6–8 as an appetizer.