The Vegetable “steak” is on so many menus highlighting the trend of delicious plant-based options. Iceberg lettuce is crisp, crunchy and refreshing with a super-mild flavour that allows the other vegetables and dressings to shine through.
PREP TIME 10 minutes
- 1 head of cold Iceberg lettuce, sliced into four 1-inch thick steaks
- 1 cup of very thinly-sliced purple cabbage
- 2 beefsteak or large heirloom tomatoes, sliced into ½ inch rounds
- 4 tbsp of crumbled feta, chèvre or blue cheese
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, halved
- 2 slices of prosciutto, cooked and crumbled
- Micro greens, to garnish
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Place one cold iceberg “steak” on each of four serving plates, layer with ¼ cup sliced cabbage, 1 large slice tomato, 1 tbsp crumbled feta, ½ hard-boiled egg then crumbled prosciutto.
Place micro greens around steak to garnish. Serve with favourite dressing and steak knife.
Best served immediately to keep iceberg crunchy.
Keep micro greens on hand to brighten up salads, sandwiches and wraps. This recipe features pea shoots, but look for baby arugula, radish sprouts, broccoli sprouts and others.
Store tomatoes on the counter at room temperature to maintain flavour and texture—refrigeration deteriorates both!