This delicious cake is the ideal finish to any meal. It’s light – almost like an angel food cake – but is packed with flavour. The cake’s bright citrus notes make it the perfect backdrop for garnishes such as fresh fruit and a drizzle √Ę‚ā¨¬®of flavoured balsamic. It’s delicious with whatever citrus you prefer and, best √Ę‚ā¨¬®of all, it’s dairy-free.
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) white sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) mild-tasting, good quality olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) cake flour *
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) white sugar
- 2 cups (500 mL) fresh blueberries, blackberries or raspberries
- Garnish: chocolate balsamic vinegar or whipped cream
- * Or use all-purpose flour, replacing 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of flour with 2 tablespoons (30 mL) cornstarch.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease the sides of a 9-inch (22.5 cm) springform pan with a little olive oil, then line the bottom with a round of parchment paper. Lightly grease the parchment.
- With a fine grater, zest lemon and lime. Whisk zest together with the flour (or flour/cornstarch mixture). Halve the zested lemon and lime, then squeeze and reserve 1 tablespoon each of lemon and lime juice.
- In a large bowl with a stand or electric mixer, beat together yolks and 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar at high speed until thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium and add olive oil and reserved lemon and lime juices, beating until just combined.
- Using a large spoon, gently stir in the flour and zest mixture until just combined.
- In another large bowl, with cleaned beaters, beat egg whites and salt at medium-high speed until foamy, then add 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar a little at a time, beating continuously until egg whites hold soft peaks, about 3 minutes.
- Gently fold one third of whites into the egg yolk, sugar and flour mixture, then fold in remaining whites gently, but thoroughly.
- Transfer batter to prepared springform pan and gently tap pan against the countertop to remove any air bubbles. Evenly sprinkle remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) sugar over top.
- Bake until puffed and golden, and a wooden skewer inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack 10 minutes, then run a thin knife around edge of pan and remove side of springform pan. Cool cake to room temperature, about 1 ½ - 2 hours. Remove bottom of pan and peel off parchment, then transfer cake to a serving plate.
- When serving, garnish each slice with berries and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar or a dollop of whipped cream.