Tasty savoury pancakes are ideal as an accompaniment for grilled fish or meat; they can also be used as a creative base for poached or fried eggs.
whipped mascarpone cream
- ½ cup (125 mL) whipping cream
- ¼ cup (45 g) mascarpone
- ¼ tsp (.7 g) salt and chili powder, or more to taste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 2 medium sized zucchini, grated
- 1 cup (30 g) minced sweet onion
- ½ tsp (3 g) kosher salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ cup (125 mL) milk
- ½ cup (65 g) flour, regular or gluten-free
- ½ tsp (2 g) baking powder
- ¼ cup (60 mL) canola oil, divided
- Few pinches black pepper
- 2 tbsp (2 g) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Whipped mascarpone cream
- Whip together mascarpone, whipping cream, salt, chili powder and lime juice until stiff; cover and refrigerate.
- Measure out 2 cups (350 g) of the grated zucchini and place in a large bowl with the minced onion. Toss with salt and let sit for 10 minutes. With your hands, transfer the vegetables to a clean kitchen towel, squeezing excess moisture out before placing on the towel. Fold up the towel and squeeze gently over the sink to remove more moisture. Dry bowl and return zucchini and onion to it.
- Add the beaten egg, milk and a generous pinch of pepper to the vegetables. Stir gently to combine. Sprinkle flour and baking powder over top and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 325ºF to keep the first fritters warm while you cook the rest.
- Heat 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of the oil in a large, heavy skillet placed over medium-high heat.
- Drop ¼ cup (60 mL) portions of the zucchini mixture into the skillet, spreading out ? inch (1.2 cm) thick. Repeat with 2–3 more portions (depending upon the size of your pan).
- Cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side; transfer cooked fritters to a baking tray and keep warm in the preheated oven.
- Add oil as needed to cook the remaining zucchini mixture.
- To serve, sprinkle the hot fritters with cilantro then serve with whipped mascarpone cream and lime wedges.
Makes 8–10 fritters; recipe can easily be multiplied and reheated.