Serving individual portions of dishes in canning jars will undoubtedly continue to be as popular as ever this summer and these desserts are a great option. They’re easy to make, delicious and super festive; replacing the traditional graham crackers with crushed maple sandwich cookies gives them a uniquely Canadian flavour!
- 500 mL (2 cups) miniature marshmallows
- 185 mL (3/4 cup) whipping cream or 1 can of real whipped cream spray
- 10 mL (2 tsp) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely crushed maple sandwich cookies (or graham crackers)
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) chocolate chips (mini or regular)
- Divide marshmallows into 1/3 cup (90 mL) bundles on a foil-lined baking tray, with about 2 inches (5 cm) between each portion. Use a kitchen torch to toast the marshmallows or place under a hot broiler for 10 - 20 seconds until the tops are scorched. Set aside.
- If using whipping cream, pour into a medium sized bowl and whip with an electric beater until soft peaks form. Add sugar and whip for a few seconds more. This step can be done up to 6 hours ahead; refrigerate whipped cream.
- When ready to serve, spoon or spray 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of whipped cream into six 1 cup / 250 mL canning jars or small bowls.
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 tablespoons (22 mL) of the crushed cookies over the whipped cream, followed by 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of chocolate chips.
- Repeat layers of whipped cream, cookies and chocolate chips.
- With a spatula or spoon, place one bundle of scorched marshmallows on top of each jar.
- Serve immediately.