Fresh and full of flavour, these fun, skewers are quick to prepare and make an ideal vegetarian, gluten-free option. Look for halloumi cheese in the deli section of most grocery stores.
- 1 small watermelon, rind removed and flesh cut in 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 250 g package halloumi cheese, cut in 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- Ă¢â€¦â€œ cup (90 mL) basil pesto
- Olive oil
- 1½ cups (375 mL) mixed baby greens, washed and dried
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) finely chopped fresh mint
- Preheat barbeque to medium-high heat.
- Thread watermelon and halloumi onto skewers, alternating between the two.
- Thin pesto with 1–2 teaspoons of olive oil so it will be easier to brush on.
- Brush watermelon and halloumi on all four sides with pesto.
- Grill for about 3 minutes per side, until halloumi has grill marks.
- Put the baby greens on a serving platter (or divide among individual serving plates) and place the grilled watermelon and halloumi on top.
- Sprinkle pepper and mint on top and serve immediately.
Serves 4 as an appetizer or 2 as a light lunch; recipe can easily be multiplied.