Toast for any meal of the day? Absolutely! Ho hum PB&J has been swept aside by deeply delicious and satisfying ingredients like avocados, chèvre or cashew cheese paired with seasonal favourites.
Start with yummy bread and then a creamy base. Top with steamed spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, figs, roasted peppers, green onions or minced olives – the possibilities are endless. Here is my favourite combo!
PREP TIME: 5 minutes SERVES: 2
- 2 pieces all-natural grainy bread
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pit removed
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
- 1-2 tsp (5-10 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tomato, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp ( 2.5 mL) nutritional yeast, optional
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) minced green onions or chives
Peel, pit and mash avocado together with garlic and lemon juice.
Grill or toast your favourite bread; top with avocado mixture.
Top with diced tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil.
Season with salt, pepper and nutritional yeast, top with green onions and serve immediately.
Find nutritional yeast at the health food store in the bulk food section; it adds a wonderfully cheesy flavour without the dairy and balances out the flavours.