Tart lemon squares brighten your holiday dessert offerings, bringing memories of warmer summer days! Make them festive and glam by adding edible gold flakes â€¨or pomegranate seeds.
â€¨Make double and freeze for future use such as hostess gifts, dinner parties and teacher appreciation parties. They are delicious frozen too!
Find edible gold flakes â€¨at Artisitic Cake Design, â€¨1390 Clyde Ave.
Holiday lemon squares
Ready in 15 minutes. Serves 12.
- 1 1/4 cups (310 ml) all-purpose flourâ€¨
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) icing sugarâ€¨
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) baking powderâ€¨
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter, softened
- 1 cup (250 ml) sugar
- â€¨2 tbsp (30 ml) all-purpose flourâ€¨
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) lemon juiceâ€¨& zest of 1 lemonâ€¨
- 2 eggsâ€¨
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) 35% whipping creamâ€¨â€¨
- Icing sugar & edible gold flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F(180 °C).
- Line a 8-inch (20-cm) square baking pan with parchment paper, set aside.â€¨
- In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking powder. Add the butter and mix well until the dough forms. Press into bottom of prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes or until crust is golden.
- In large bowl, combine sugar and flour.
- Add remaining ingredients; whisk until smooth.
- Pour over baked crust while still hot.â€¨
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 °F â€¨(160 °C).
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until outer filling has set, but centre is still slightly loose when jiggled.
- Let cool 30 minutes and refrigerate until completely chilled, about 4 hours.
- Remove from pan and cut into squares.
Dust with icing sugar and edible gold flakes just before serving.
Great gift idea! Every kitchen should have a citrus press. Find it at Kitchenalia, 274 Richmond Rd.