This deceptively simple, not-too-sweet dessert makes it the perfect conclusion for any meal. Look for instant espresso powder in the coffee aisle at most large grocery stores.
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) white sugar
- 1¾ cups (415 mL) heavy (35%) cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) espresso powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Kahlua (optional but delicious)
- Whipped cream, to garnish
- Place egg yolks, espresso powder and sugar in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Whisk to blend well and set aside.
- Heat cream in a saucepan over medium heat until it is just about to boil. Slowly pour about 1 cup of the cream mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return the egg mixture to the saucepan and heat, whisking constantly, until bubbling gently (about 2–3 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add Kahlua.
- Pour the pudding mixture into a glass measuring cup or heatproof pitcher. If it is lumpy, place a strainer over the top of the cup or pitcher before filling it.
- Pour the smooth mixture from the cup or pitcher into six ½ cup (125 mL) serving dishes (do not fill them right to the top).
- Refrigerate until set, about 2–3 hours.
- Garnish with whipped cream and/or chocolate shavings and serve.