This simple salad helps keep the flavours of fresh-picked produce shining throughout the autumn season. While it’s best to grill the vegetables, you can also sear them in a cast-iron pan on the stovetop or roast them in the oven.
- 4 Roma or plum tomatoes, cut in thick wedges
- 1 each medium-sized yellow and green zucchini, thickly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 bunch green onions, tops and bottoms trimmed, with bulbs left intact
- 2 limes
- ½ cup (125 mL) crumbled feta or chèvre
- Garlic or other flavoured olive oil for brushing
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat gas or charcoal grill to medium temperature (approx 350F).
- Place all vegetables on a platter or baking tray. Brush with flavoured olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, turning to coat evenly.
- Put the prepared tomatoes, zucchini and green onions in a grill basket and cook until softened and lightly charred, turning occasionally. Cook in batches if needed to prevent overcrowding.
- Arrange cooked vegetables attractively on a platter or in a broad, shallow bowl.
- Top with a generous squeeze of lime juice and crumbled feta or chèvre.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, with additional wedges of lime on the side.
Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as a side dish.